An 18 year old Teen  may partially lose his sight due to serious eye injuries sustained when the battery of his mobile phone exploded.  Monu, the son of a trader had only recently bought a new phone, a new branded one from Gaffar Market. In a statement provided by the victim to The Times of India, he said that despite adequately charging his phone’s battery the night before, when the cell phone didn’t start-up, he removed the cell phone’s battery from the phone. Just then, a powerful explosion (audible even to his neighbours) rocked his room. The explosion affected his eyes the most and the battery was allegedly found in pieces while the cell phone itself was mangled, post the explosion.

According to the report, initial investigations into the matter blame over-charging of the Lithium battery as the cause for the explosion.